Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dear Eco

Greetings!

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=b52dec5976&view=att&th=13f7bb71c4013cdf&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_jLgkxxhe0mnkrvWUX9AtK&sadet=1372285598022&sads=s0VNvJjfB_ykF-dxGHDj1B0G_O0I have received another great email! Two brothers were walking through the woods and they found a skull. They wanted to know what animal it was from so they sent me a picture:

Here was my response:
Thank you for those great pictures! I love being a part of your family of Eco's! I am so happy to hear that you go hiking with your family. I love hiking. 

I think it is an opossum's skull. The size makes sense and also it has those big side eye sockets. Animals that have large eye sockets on more of the side of their head are considered "prey" animals - as opposed to forward-facing eye sockets like humans or owls which mean they are "predator" animals. Prey and predator are just words that tell us where an animal would fall on a food chain. "Prey" means they would be toward the bottom and "Predator" means they would be towards the top. 

The reason prey animals have their eyes more on the side of their head is so they can easily see if their are any predators chasing them. Predator animals use their forward facing eyes to be a better hunter. It's easier to focus on what's in front of you when you have both eyes facing forward. 

Great find! Keep looking for interesting things on your hikes! I can't wait to see more pictures of what you find out there. 
Keep exploring!
Here is a picture of me with my new friends! 
Until next time my friends,
Eco

No comments:

Post a Comment