Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Jack in the Pulpit



Greetings!

Spring has sprung! I have been spending everyday outside walking around Eldridge Park. It is beautiful now! Everything is growing and green! On my walk today in our woods I noticed a funny looking plant. I took a picture with it.

This is a Jack in the Pulpit or Arisaema triphyllum.

It is a very noticeable plant. It has three big leaves and a cool middle flower. It looks like a pitcher plant! The hood wraps around and covers the little flower cluster in the center. The hood part is called a spathe (this is the "pulpit" part of the name) and the little hotdog-y looking thing poking out is called a spadix (this is "Jack").

It flowers from April to June. It is fly pollinated. Usually plants that are pollinated by flies don't smell that great to you or I. Even though I rummage through garbage on a nightly basis I still prefer the sweet smell of bee pollinated flowers. 

Jack in the Pulpit is not edible, either. The plant contains a chemical called oxalic acid. This is a chemical that causes a burning feeling when the raw plant is eaten. The Native Americans did use to eat, though. They knew how to prepare it in a way that made the root of the plant safe to eat.  They would use it as a treatment for sore eyes.

I can't wait until our Jack in the Pulpit grows its berries! It has really cool bright red berries. You'll have to come look for it!

Until next time my friends,
Eco

No comments:

Post a Comment